Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ok, off topic...but neat.

C’était un Rendez-vous by Claude Lelouch.

Most likely you have seen this video, it was titled various things on the video websites...but it seems the videos are now pulled...it is out on DVD.

The film is shot with one camera mounted to the front of a Mercedes sedan and in 10 minutes goes from one part of Paris to another. The story is that the driver was late to meet his girlfriend. The driver is driving fast, is running red lights, going the wrong way down streets...and the whole thing was done in one shot. Also it was done without any approval or support of city officials...and nobody to stop the regular traffic on the roads.

A making-of documentary...actually the filmaker retraces the steps in another Mercedes.

This Mashup is cool...it has the route painted on a Googlemap in time with the video (but I think the video link they are using is broke)...no matter, the mashup doesn't actually use the video, it just runs in time with it.

Here some math folks calcuate the actual speeds accomplished.

Here is a translation of an interview with Mr Lelouch.

I am impressed by it, I have ordered the DVD, hopefully the quality is way better than the online videos.

Now that I have been to Paris, and seeing the video again I actually recognize part of the path...the next time I go I will try to make my way to the overlook at the end of the film.

No comments: