Saturday, October 9, 2010

iOS 4.1 on my iPod Touch

Knowing that early adopters seem to have pain and suffering, I now wait to do BIOS/Firmware/OS updates.

iOS4 has been out for a while, and out for the iPod for a few months...but since my iPod is Jailbroken, I knew that at that point, there was no Jailbreak for an OS above 3.1.2.

Well Apple released 4.1, and in September a Jailbreak was released...I don't know how many devices are correctly broken etc...but I do know that my MB model iPod Touch 2G IS!

I simply followed this guide at crispytech.com . No muss no fuss. The Apple things were backed up and reinstalled automatically (apps/media/settings), however the software I installed using Cydia had to be manually reinstalled, but I did not have to re-buy anything.

I didn't want to upgrade the OS, but the new apps I wanted required OS4 or higher...

But there is another reason to upgrade...if you have a 3GS, you get built in multitasking. (which you also can get if you jailbreak). However, everyone get the new folder option. You can dump app icons together and create a folder icon that you can drag around and rename. Of course I couldn't figure out how to do this simple task...so I found this quick explanation. The quick summary is put an app icon over another one, and you get a folder...taa daa.

I am still waiting on some apps to be updated to OS4 (from Cydia), but the apps I use all the time work just fine.


A couple of quick notes...

I use Handbrake to rip DVDs to iPod files and drag and drop using iTunes...but a funny thing about how iTunes works...I can't pull those same files off. So I had to found a Guide (that I lost the link to) and installed Mac software Senuti. The trial version was all I needed so copy the movie files back off.

No comments: