Tuesday, November 25, 2014

iOS 8.1 with Jailbreak...well that was easy

No it wasn't easy.

Short history...I don't upgrade my iPhone until a stable jailbreak is out...if I remember to upgrade at all.

I had jailbroken 7.0.6 on my iPhone 4S.

I was (attempting) installing an app...specifically the app for the Ring doorbell...(more on that in a future post).

The app required at least iOS 7.1.   So I set about to update to 7.1.2 and jailbreak it.  I won't bore you with the details...I spent hours trying to fix the 3194 error (I tried every one the various sites list), but iTunes would not update my phone to 7.1.

That took a good portion of the afternoon.  Then I learned that 8.1 had a untethered jailbreak.

So I figured what the heck I will attempt an iOS 8.1 update.  (backup your device, download a restore image of iOS 8.1 for your device, hold SHIFT button when clicking "Upgrade" in iTunes, select your downloaded folder)

Well wouldn't you know, that upgrade went without a problem.  Now time for the jailbreak.

Some Chinese hackers created Pangu8.  I read through a few blogs, mainly Redmond Pie for the story and tutorial.

Well there is a bug with a Pangu8 verson lower than 1.2.1...I didn't know that and ended up with a boot loop.  I had to put the phone in DFU mode and restore the 8.1 install.

It was then that I learned that I had the wrong version of Pangu8.

Pangu8 takes a chunk of space to run, so you need about 3 gigs free on your iPhone.

It is pretty simple, and works just fine.


Notes:
-Pangu8 1.2.1
-iOS 8.1...not any version later.
-backup first and often
-need 3 gigs of space on phone.


Good luck.


No comments: