Saturday, March 20, 2010

Astrophotography

I always assumed you had to buy a lot of expensive hardware, and sit outside all night pushing a cable remote shutter control to take pictures of the stars.

Thanks to modern cameras...you can if you want to...or just let the camera do the work.

There are websites and books dedicated to this subject...so I won't bother...however.

...unfortunately just as I was figuring all this out and getting my setup ready...a winter storm came to visit...so I won't be able to test my theories for a few days.

Here is what I know...
CHDK will let you make repeated shots at a set interval.
...it will let you set the shutter speed (and or aperture)

I have read that up to about 20-30 second exposure times will not show star streaking (from the earth movement)
There is free software that will 'stack' exposures (sort of like what the HDR software does)
I built a large battery pack to keep the camera running all night.

So my plan is to set the exposure to 20 sec, take pictures a minute apart all night long and see what happens.

Then from there change the exposure time until just below the streak threshold.

Not only can I get movies...I can stack the shots for more detail (hopefully).

Now this camera will only shoot for about a minute shutter open time. If I want more, I will need a new camera...and some way to keep the camera in position as the earth moves...

No comments: