Thursday, October 21, 2010

ReadyNAS NV+ revisited

I have had my ReadyNAS for a few years now, and still like it...in fact I am thinking about getting another one, stuff some 2TB drives into it as a video server.

Newegg is selling them with 2 1TB drives installed for $390 with rebates and free shipping. But I will get an unpopulated one and stuff in 4 2TB drives.

Before I decided to buy another NAS, I found some web sites that made me decide to stay with the NV+...mostly because there is a huge price jump to the next models...but partially because the NV+ still holds its own.

While I was surfing around I found this blog Bott's Thoughts.

Bott has a ton of info on setting up and running the NV+ as well as quite a few other things/hacks you can do with/to it. The above link goes to a tutorial on setting up the NV+, very handy!

If you decide to get the NV+ (or many other NASs ) you need to make sure the drives you buy will be compatible, or you may have reduced or no performance.

For the ReadyNAS, on the Netgear website you can see the current list of compatible drives.

For the NV+ there are currently 4 2TB drives to choose from.

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2 TB 3Gb/s 64 MB


Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 HUA722020ALA330 2 TB 3Gb/s 32 MB


Hitachi 7K2000 HDS722020ALA330 2 TB 3Gb/s 32 MB


Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2 TB 3Gb/s 32 MB


No comments: