Friday, April 4, 2008

Netgear ReadyNAS NV+

I already mentioned the dead computers...I have made backups...I have a backup system already in use for the important stuff (to my tornado proof closet)...in addition I recently uploaded the most important files to a hosting site I use. (yes encrypted etc).

But I still need to get my RAID back up and running...and I wanted to do this anyway...it just happened earlier than I planned.

I bought this unit, because I needed a small all-in-one unit with a flashed small OS etc. I didn't want to build another large computer and install/upgrade an os.

My other backup system uses a NSLU2 from Linksys with two USB drives...one main, and one copy. It has worked mostly very well (except for the one time an outlook .pst file got corrupted and shrunk...then the backup system overwrote the correct one with the corrupted one...and made a dupe)

This unit is small enough to go into the storm closet...recognizes my APC UPSs, has built in backup software, has filesystem capability with Linux, OSX and Windows.

And a bunch of other bells and whistles you would want on a online file server.

More to follow.


There it is in the storm shelter (closet) with a NSLU2 with 2 USB HD attached. (and night light...so you don't get scared)


BTW, a great resource for NAS reviews etc is SmallNetBuilder.com. No, I am not associated with them in any way...other than I used their reviews to help decide on a NAS.

No comments: